Sign-ups for contestants are now open and will officially close on the second Friday after the GISD school year begins. A meeting with the participants and their parents will be held the following week. For more information or to sign up for this year’s pageant, e-mail Pageant Chair Penny Webb at email@example.com.
Here is a list of the Peanut Queen Coronation’s Rules and Guidelines for all of those who are considering participation in this year’s pageant.
1. Contestants must be a female high school senior that is residing in or attending school within the boundaries of the Grapeland Independent School District at the beginning of the current school year. Contestants must present a letter from a school administrator verifying their classification as a High School Senior. Contestants are only eligible to run for Peanut Queen once.
2. Each contestant will be judged on the following categories:
Street wear, interview, talent, and evening wear.
3. Each contestant must have a sponsor. Sponsors may be either a local or civic organization or business. No school sponsored contestants. In the event of needing to find an outside sponsor, the contestant must have the approval of the Chamber board of directors.
4. Contestants must be of good moral character.
5. Contestants must be living with their parents or legal guardian and cannot be married, have been married, or have children.
6. Contestants must possess a talent and the ability to present this talent.
7. In the case of duplication of talent, the first person to contact the coronation chairperson shall have the right to present that talent.
8. Contestants must be financially responsible for all outfits and props.
9. Festival activities scheduled for the contestant will be chaperoned by an adult.
10. Scholarships will be awarded as follows:
PEANUT QUEEN: $1000.00
1st RUNNER UP: $750.00
2ND RUNNER UP: $500.00
Scholarship money will be given to the winners upon receipt of enrollment into college or vocational school. Scholarship money must be claimed within a year of winning the award.